Get Your California Contractors License

Pass your California contractors exam on your first attempt

California Contractors License

get california contractors licenseA contractors license is required in California prior to bidding on any commercial, residential, and public works construction involving projects that exceeds $500. To become a licensed contractor, candidates are required to pass two examinations: business and law and their trade. Applications can be obtained from the California Contractors State License Board by calling 1-800-321-2752. Examinations are also scheduled through the board.


California Contractors License Requirements


let us help you get your contractors licenseIn the State of California certain requirements must be met in order for an applicant to receive his/hers contractors license. Basically, any work performed over $500 will require you to become a licensed contractor. Individual applying for the California state license must have documented at least 4 years of trade experience. This experience must be at the journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or at the owner-builder level (Personal experience now accepted by the state). The state has changed some of the requirements and now allows for college degrees or trade school to be counted for up to 3 years of the required trade experience. In order to obtain contractors license, all candidates will have to sit for two exams: Law & Business and selected Trade.


California Contractors Fees


contractors license feesThe state of California has an initial application fee that is $330 for new and also for those that are reapplying contractors. There is an additional fee for the two-year license card, which is $200. After your application is approved by the Contractors State License Board, you will be notified of a testing date. Other requirements require that contractors must have at least $2,500 in working capital (this may be cash or equipment verifiable at the time of application submission). In addition, all applicants are required to file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000.


California Contractors Exam Details


contractor exam detailed informationThe contractors exam can be currently scheduled and taken in: Berkeley, San Jose, Sacramento, Fresno, Oxnard, Norwalk, San Bernardino, and San Diego. Our study material includes hundreds of practice questions and covers all of the required topics found on the actual contractors exam. Both law and trade portions of the exam must be taken for those that are getting licensed for the first time. The actual contractors exam has 100-120 questions and a time limit of 2 -1/2 hours. Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination and a 70% is required to pass.


California License Exams We Cover


California Law & Business Exam


California General B Building Contractors Exam


California Low Voltage Systems C-7 Contractors Exam


California Electrical C-10 Contractors Exam


California HVAC C-20 Contractors Exam



California Contractors Exam Home Study Kit $249


complete home study kit saleOur home study materials are available in either books with CD-ROMs version or online downloadable version. Our CD-ROM software is developed using the computer-assisted testing software, which means that no internet or prior computer experience is required. Both CD-ROM and instant online download versions are identical and cover everything you need to study and pass your contractors exam. The complete home study kit includes: both law/business & trade study manual with over 500 pages of trade, math examples, estimating, formulas, safety, blueprint reading, and other study content. Plus hundreds of exam practice questions with detailed explanations to all law/business and general building exam practice questions. All orders also receive a complete contractors application review, 30-day online exam support, and 24/7 online applicant support.


California Contractors License Reciprocity


contractors license reciprocityThe following states have reciprocity with the State of California: Arizona, Nevada and Utah. The contractor must be applying for a license in a classification that appears on that state's reciprocal classifications list. The contractor must have held an active license in good standing in one of the reciprocal states for the previous five years. The contractor must also submit to CSLB the Request for Verification of License form that is completed by the licensing entity under which he or she is already licensed. The contractor must complete the Application for Original Contractors License.